There isn’t a subway yet at the Bonnie Doon Centre, but there is a new LRT station under construction! Join us there for a celebration of the music of J. S. Bach on the weekend of his 334th birthday. Music will be at various locations throughout the mall between noon and 2 pm on Saturday March 23.
Rough schedule, subject to change:
- noon: violins, recorders, and flutes in front of the LRT presentation centre
- 12:15 – 12:25: Weather permitting, outdoor performance at Bonnie Doon LRT station construction site. (Minuet BWV 822)
- 12:30 pm: Flash Mob at Centre Court, starting with one cello, gradually adding flutes and violins (Minuet BWV 116)
- Mr. Bach arrives to participate in the Flash mob! (Dances from the b minor Orchestral Suite and Violin Concertos)
- 12:50 pm: Mr. Bach leads a procession from Centre Court back to the LRT presentation centre (March)
- 1:00 – 2:00 pm: music continues with cellos, violas, violins, flutes and recorders in front of the LRT presentation centre
This is an international event! It all started in 2010, when Dale Henderson began frequent performances of the Bach Cello Suites in the subways of New York City. Convinced the decline in classical audiences was largely because many people never get a chance to experience this music live and up close, he believed Bach to be the perfect ambassador for his art form. Feeling the experience was infinitely more powerful with money removed from the equation, Henderson declined donations and instead offered audiences free postcards explaining that his intentions were to sow the seeds for future generations of classical music lovers. His efforts, which he called “Bach in the Subways,” attracted appreciative attention from fans, other musicians, and the media.
In celebration of Bach’s 326th birthday on March 21, 2011 Henderson invited other musicians to join him. [Read more…]
Click here for a list of Bach in the Subways performances around the world.