*NEW* The Edmonton Suzuki Early Childhood community is developing a separate website for the local program. Check out our progress here for up to date info, blog posts, and more!
Suzuki Early Childhood Education is a music program designed for parents and children aged 0-3 years. Using a carefully selected set of action songs and lullabies, infants and toddlers experience learning music as a second language following the same process as learning to speak their mother tongue. Easy, fun, and natural! Parents are amazed to realize how much infants can learn and understand. We create an environment in the class that nurtures this process for both parents and children. SECE classes are the only infant music classes that are designed to transition seamlessly into instruction on any musical instrument starting as young as 3 years. As the children mature, more complex layers of activity are added to the familiar songs to develop pre-instrument skills. What makes Suzuki ECE different from other music classes for children?
- Drop in with your child at any class (no charge)
- Classes are free for expectant mothers and any children under the age of 3 mo.
Class times and locations:
- Saturdays, 9:30 am – 10:30 am – King Edward Park
- Schoen Duo Studio, 79 Ave. & 91 St. NW, Edmonton, AB (rear entrance)
- Summer Institute – 5 consecutive weekday classes from 9:30 – 10:30am
- U of A, Faculty Saint-Jean: Room 1-85, Pavilion McMahon, , 8406, rue Marie-Anne-Gaboury (91 Street)
- Spring Term: April 6 – June 15, 2019 (8 classes – none on Easter, Victoria Day weekend or SAA conference)
- Summer term: 5 daily classes at Borealis Suzuki Institute, August 19 – 23, 2019, plus 3 weekly classes in Sep. 7-21, 2019 (8 classes)
- September: 3 weekly classes Sept. 7-21, 2019
- Fall term: October 6 – December 7, 2019 (8 classes – none on Remembrance Day weekend)
- Winter term: Jan. 18 – Mar. 14, 2020 (8 classes – none on Family Day weekend)
- As with all Suzuki programs, listening to the repertoire of songs at home is vital to the childrens’ progress. Physical CDs are available from the instructors, or you can download both recordings at these links:
- There are two sets of songs: you need both links to get the complete set.
- $160 per term
- (8 classes over 3 months: can be divided into 3 monthly installments of $55 each.)
- $600 per year
- (32 classes over 12 months: can be divided into 12 monthly installments of $52 each.)
Thanks to the Suzuki Talent Education Society in Calgary and SECE Teacher Trainer Wan Tsai Chen for the use of these wonderful demonstration videos!
Get the latest research on why these classes are so beneficial:
- Active music classes in infancy enhance musical, communicative and social development
- Becoming musically enculturated: effects of music classes for infants on brain and behavior
- Effects of Kindermusik training on infants’ rhythmic enculturation
- Effects of formal musical experience in infancy on musical, linguistic, and social development
- The influence of musical movement on infant’s social behaviour
Thanks to Dr. David Gerry, music cognition researcher and Suzuki Flute teacher trainer, for the links to his research papers!